If you rest you rust, and I have no retirement date: Kamini Talwar, Director, Iris Computers

0
Kamini Talwar, Director, Iris Computers
Read Article

In the face of rapid changes and increasing digitalisation, I am well prepared to embrace a different way of doing business, managing channel, and the best way to deliver differentiated value to customers. With mastery in business management, and gut I drive a business of cut throat competition with operational efficiency

Journey as an entrepreneur
My journey in IT was a humble start. It all started way back in 1986; with the world’s top consumer brand – Apple. Those 10 years were amazing years of selling and setting up the dealer channel for a brand like Apple. The next big break of my career happened in 1996, when I joined as one of the founder directors of Iris Computers, and started distribution of multinational branded computers like HP, Dell and Acer. My contribution to make Iris Computers a leading IT distribution house had been significant. Today, Iris crosses the 1000 crore mark with over 30 offices in the country. Moreover, I have expanded the reseller channel base from a modest 30 partners to over 3000.

I reinvent every time an IT product is added to the product portfolio of Iris, quickly adapting to the new product and converting it into a successful business model. Over the years, I have built strong fundamentals of managing channel partners with fairness and suppliers with a lot of respect. With my experience in IT channel and customer focused approach, I drive sales, profitability and work hard in silence. I believe in – let success make the noise.

I put in mammoth effort and energy to drive the organisation. I believe a river cuts through a rock not because of its power, but its persistence. Likewise, my persistence set Iris in a unique position in the IT distribution industry. I was neither a born nor a gifted entrepreneur but had a go getter- approach that has made me to reach this level.

In the face of rapid changes and increasing digitalisation, I am well prepared to embrace a different way of doing business, managing channel, and the best way to deliver differentiated value to customers. With mastery in business management, and gut I drive a business of cut throat competition with operational efficiency.

Women in IT – a rare breed ?
A lot of women aspire to reach the boardroom of an IT company, but are not willing to pay the price for it. More than technical skills you need aggression, capability of working odd hours, travelling extensively and achieving high targets as it is a growing industry with a very high rate of obsolescence.

We women leaders need to inspire and uplift a new breed of women through networking and the media to get them into the IT digitalisation wave.

Work-life balance
I think work- life balance is top most in a modern employee’s list of priorities. If, however, you think about it, what really is work-life balance? Most people think of work-life balance as the concept of being able to split work and personal life with the aim of creating a 50-50 balance. You need to understand, this definition only fits an ideal world. In reality, the ratio swings between 0 and 100, depending on the severity of the problems that need to be addressed.

I think much more holistically about how to lead a balanced life. And that means every team member carves out time during the “working day” to spend on their wellbeing.

Overall, I feel work demands 70 per cent of my time and the rest 30 per cent is spent on family and friends. I successfully manage to integrate work and personal life. I take my job as an integral part of my life.

Life ahead
With India becoming the digital software hub of the world there is an immense opportunity for women to participate. Breaking the chains of restraints and riding a wave of success is not an easy task but I want to continue to contribute in the IT distribution industry of India. I am proud to be the founder member of Iris Computers and Iris Global. If you rest you rust, and I have no retirement date.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here