Written by: Sumana Iyengar, CEO & Co-Founder, Goavega Software Pvt Ltd)
The past two years, dominated by the global pandemic and the lockdown, has accelerated digital adoption and disrupted several businesses. From E-commerce and cashless payments to no contact deliveries, online health consultation and digital classrooms, life as we knew it, has changed! Under such circumstances, when technology adoption has taken giant leaps, a lot of businesses were forced to adopt quickly, and futuristically, given the continued acceleration in tech innovation. Under such circumstances, when resource optimisation and technology adoption have become vital, modernisations of legacy application has emerged as a significant need of the hour.
Modernisation of legacy applications, as a concept, simply refers to the updating/ upgrading of Software so as to be compatible with the more modern and emerging computing technologies, while bringing better agility, efficacy and speed to the operational and strategic functions of technology adoption. which include newer languages, frameworks and infrastructure platforms. Further, upgrading or adopting a modernisation of applications, helps companies to fully leverage the technology infrastructure and assets, enhance their lifespan, while also leveraging the best of modern technology functions, while optimising resources.
The three key areas where application modernisation has been making significant impact, include:
- Data Migration: Movement of Data from stand alone, physical servers to larger cloud based network, can be termed as one of the most significant aspect of application modernisation. This can be termed ‘re-hosting’ or ‘lift and shift’ approach to data modernisation. This aspect has several benefits, especially in the current scenario of remote workplaces and enhanced data security. Apart from making the operational network more agile and secure, data migration has also drastically contributed to optimising resources and integration of several tech solutions, including leveraging AI for data analysis and automation.
- UI/UX Modernisation: Enhanced customer success and customer experience has become a vital aspect for successful businesses, especially in the digital ecosystem, where efficient technology solutions become key differentiators in the overall customer experience. Modernisation of UX (User Experience) or UI (User interface, helps companies to leverage the best in automation, data analytics and smart solutions to cater to and enhance customer experience many fold, while optimising resource .
- Infrastructure Modernisations: Modernisation of technology infrastructure plays a major role in the overall development and up gradation of legacy applications. Unfortunately, it has been widely limited to just cloud migration when there is actually a lot more to this. Implementing microservice architecture, Cloud services and compartmentalisation, etc., all go a long way in creating an integrated, agile and efficient Infrastructural set up, which is vital for the overall Application modernisation process.
Some of the key benefits of modernisation of legacy applications, can be further elaborated as:
- Integrated and Compatible IT infrastructure: A modernised tech infrastructure allows for easy and smart integration of several other tech enabled processes. This can, in turn, lead to smarter, faster and seamlessly functional operational network, that can leverage the best of AI and Automation and Smart Data analytics.
- Optimisation of Resources: One of the key benefits of modernisation of legacy applications is the opportunity to transform old assets into more relevant and smarter versions, thus optimising them. Modernisation also ensures that the best in emerging technology and processes are made available at a fraction of the cost, and results in more energy, and cost effective solutions.
- Speedy and efficient operations: Upgrading and integration of modern technology processes eventually leads to faster and more efficient operations, on a regular basis. Further, it also facilitates easy co-ordination between different departments and teams, in a secure, and effective manner, in spite of the geographical distance.
- Improved Customer Satisfaction: Improved operational efficacy eventually translates into improved customer experience. By leveraging AI and data intelligence, it is further possible to enhance service efficacy and thus improve customer satisfaction.
- Robust Security and Scalability: Modernisation of applications has proven to be a boon to businesses as technologies like cloud migration have evolved to make data more secure and accessible. This has also resulted in agility and scalability, in the long run, as data now doesn’t need to be stored in stand alone servers which would be huge energy and resource guzzlers.
From the above listed points, it is clear that modernisation of legacy application is the only way forward for existing tech support companies to further grow and continue to remain relevant. With an increasingly robust digital economy and business space now taking shape, across the world, modernisation is inevitable if Indian Inc., would like to continue to remain a key contender for a winning position, in global economy.