JFrog Ltd. (“JFrog”) announced the acquisition of Upswift, the creators of connected device management software for developers. The combined companies aim to deliver the industry’s first complete development-to-device platform that bridges the gap between current IoT software silos and common DevOps processes, such as dependency scanning, CI/CD, artifact management, shifting left for application security, software distribution and more. This empowers developers to connect modern CI/CD and SecOps workflows to the world of connected devices, providing a complete process from software creation to full deployment on the device itself.
For customers, this acquisition means an actualization of digital transformation, delivering automation from development environments to the cloud and all the way to end devices.
“We are extremely excited about this acquisition on several levels – the technology, the people, and the market potential,” said Shlomi Ben Haim, Co-founder and CEO of JFrog. “Not only will we be able to connect the worlds of DevOps and IoT for the first time and make digital transformation real for developers, but we are also joining forces with an incredible team with a passion for innovation and infinite scale. This is another big leap towards our Liquid Software vision of becoming the company that powers the world’s software updates, amplifying our product roadmap and opening new market opportunities.”
Managing fleets of devices and edge applications remotely – including over-the-air (OTA) updates, security, monitoring, controlling and more – has quickly become unwieldy for most companies. Forecasts suggest around 24 billion IoT devices will be in use around the world by 2026, creating a management, security and software update market for connected devices worth nearly $16 billion. As the sophistication and complexity of both commercial and consumer devices increases, having a fast, reliable, secure way to monitor and update connected devices from a cloud-based DevOps platform is imperative.
“Most edge and IoT device software update solutions are homegrown, specialized and siloed from modern CI/CD and the DevOps software development lifecycle,” said Yoav Landman, Co-founder and CTO of JFrog. “At the same time, most of today’s DevOps solutions are not built to deliver and deploy software updates to distributed edge and IoT environments, nor manage them on an ongoing basis. Upswift provides a developer-focused device management and software update technology that easily integrates with current DevOps automation workflows and developer ecosystems, allowing continuous delivery to devices to happen naturally.”
The companies’ technologies aim to provide a single pane of glass for DevOps engineers and developers to securely manage the complete device continuous software release cycle, reducing deployment time and operational pain.
The integrated technology platform will provide:
- Ability to fully automate software updates from development to device, with full automation capabilities across the DevOps lifecycle of build, security, distribution, and device deployment.
- Scalable, developer-oriented, OTA updates across large fleets of edge and IoT devices with automated, secure updates from anywhere.
- Extended security capabilities to the broad IoT landscape, broadening visibility, monitoring risks and remediating vulnerabilities found on devices.
- Ability to update software directly on IoT and edge devices, reliably delivering file-system and container updates across a distributed fleet.
- Device update management and monitoring, including real-time status of device health, functioning, and applications.
- Remote control capabilities across distributed edges, including direct device access from a browser or via API.
- Complete visibility of software package releases through the full DevOps pipeline, including deployments and incremental updates.
- Full integration with the JFrog Platform to enable simplified, secure management of software releases to the edge.
“As more and more intelligent applications and data collection move to the edge, the marriage of DevOps with device management is unstoppable,” said Amit Ezer, Founder and CEO of Upswift. “We’re thrilled to join JFrog – a leader in the DevOps space – and to deliver something truly innovative to the market that helps developers further their digital transformation initiatives and bridge container deployment all the way to the end-device.”
Today, the Upswift platform helps update, control, monitor and secure remote Linux & IoT devices at scale, with the click of a button for customers across all industries, Upswift’s team will join JFrog immediately.
For more details on the benefits JFrog’s acquisition of Upswift will deliver visit our blog. The new IoT and connected device management capabilities of the JFrog Platform powered by Upswift will be highlighted in a webinar, “JFrog and Upswift: Bringing IoT Software Updates to DevOps”, on Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 10 AM PT. Learn more and register here.
Terms of the transaction were not disclosed. The transaction is not expected to have a material impact on JFrog’s financial results for the third quarter or full year 2021.